I am a little bit proud of myself. Today I completed my first proper dressmaking project in twelve long years.
I wanted to start with the simplest possible pattern to make sure that it wouldn’t be beyond my ability and crush my confidence as I know what I’m like. If I try something and can’t do it then I can become very stubborn and start that whole “I didn’t want to do it anyway” thing. I chose something from the ‘Simplicity’ book, in the ‘sew easy’ section, clearly marked ‘easy’. I hoped it didn’t get much more simple than that!
And so today I have made myself a cute floral apron which admittedly is a tiny bit big, I made it in medium when I probably should have gone for the small, but regardless I am immensely chuffed.
So I started by cutting and pinning the pattern to the fabric. The keen-eyed amongst you will spot that I have made the mistake of folding the fabric in half the wrong way but luckily for this pattern it didn’t matter and I won’t make that mistake again.
I only had one minor hissy fit when I couldn’t work out how to construct the pockets but Mr Monster stepped in with his analytical mind and deciphered the pattern instructions for me.
Once I got to this stage I was feeling pretty pleased with myself
And from there it was only a few short steps to finish the apron off. Here it is in all it’s glory (a little blurry as it’s a dodgy self-take)
I have to say my new sewing machine is an absolute dream. I now have a simple dress pattern to attempt and I have to say, so far I’m really enjoying these first few baby-steps on my journey into dressmaking.